Do you know the Basics of Home Security?
Most people feel confident about the basics of home security. For Example: Keep all doors locked. Have a light on in the house while away. Never hide a key outside in an on obvious place, like under the mat.
- Yet, almost a million and a half properties get burglarized in North America each year. So how can you prevent that from happening to your home? Here are a few less known home security basics:
- Actually, never hide a key outside. Thieves know all the hiding places. Instead, make sure all family members have a key.
- Two-thirds of home burglaries occur during the day. So be extra vigilant about making sure doors and windows are locked while you’re away during the day.
- Surprisingly, most thieves are not daring. They are 2.7 times more likely to target a home without an alarm system.
- Thieves will attempt to force entry through sliding-style doors and windows first. So make sure these have a locking bar or extra bolt lock.
- Surprising, 40% of household burglaries do not involve forced entry. The thief is able to slip in through an unlocked window or door.
- Don’t show off possessions! An important racing bike parked next to the garage, or expensive audio equipment clearly seen through a window is an invitation to burglars.
- Take a look at lighting and landscaping around your property. Are there spots where a thief could easily hide? If so, make some changes.
- When planning a trip, have a trusted neighbor pick up newspapers, flyers and anything else that may accumulate at your door.
Your local police department may have more tips and special programs for keeping your home secure. Give them a call.
Please check out our listings at: Connieandjamie.com
Also visit our social media sites at: