FIND YOUR DREAM HOME
Are You Considering Purchasing a Home?
Here are a Few of Our Top Buyer Tips when it Comes to Houses for Sale in Napa CA & nearby Towns:
Obtain a pre-qualification or pre-approval prior to starting your home search.
Having this information will enable you to shop within a price range that fits within what you are committed to spending on a monthly basis. A lender can discuss financing options with you and outline the best scenarios for your purchase. When possible, consider using a local lender.
Consult a Realtor to assist in your search.
Have your agent set up automated alerts for you to receive listings that match your criteria. A Realtor will be able to assist you in finding houses for sale in Napa CA and nearby towns regardless of the brokerage that has the listing. We have a free listing alert service available. Contact us.
Be prepared to review and sign A LOT of documents.
Ask your agent for hard copies or if you prefer to read and review documents online, electronic copies can easily be provided. The documents you will receive range from the initial purchase contract, to seller disclosures, reports and inspections, title and escrow information, etc.
Once you have found a house you like, visit the neighborhood at different days & times.
Visit on different days of the week and different times of each day. Take a walk around the area, visit the schools and/or parks nearby, talk to neighbors, and get a feel for the area. Exploration can be just as important as obtaining reports and inspections on any houses for sale in Napa County.
Be prepared to do inspections.
Inspections are typically completed at the buyer’s expense. We typically recommend a home inspection, roof inspection, termite inspection and chimney inspection (if applicable). Other inspections people consider when applicable include: pool inspections, foundation inspections, well inspections/water tests, septic inspections, and sewer line inspections.
Appraisals: If you're obtaining a loan, your lender will order an appraisal.
An appraisal is completed by a third party for the benefit of the lender. The lender typically offers you financing based on a percentage of appraised value. Ordered through a system on “round robin” basis, appraisals establish a fair market value for the property. The appraiser visits the property, measures for square footage, take photos for reports. They are NOT a home inspection.
We stick to a timeline as determined by the contract and everyone works as diligently as possible to stay on track, but with so many parties involved there are inevitable delays that will be out of your control.
Going from renting to buying?
If you are currently renting, please consult your Realtor and lender prior to giving your landlord notice to vacate, we do not want you without a place to live!
If you are obtaining financing: DO NOT make any major purchases, open new credit accounts, etc., without first speaking to your lender. Doing so could compromise your ability to qualify for your loan.
First Time Homebuyer?
Thinking about making your very first home purchase? Have no fear! We work with many first time home buyers and we can effectively lead you through the process. There are many ways to get the process started and sometimes the task of knowing where to get started with houses for sale in Napa County can be daunting.
- Our first step is usually to meet with you face to face or on a call to learn more about what you may be looking for and outline appropriate timeline expectations depending on your situation.
- If you will be obtaining a loan you will need to be pre-approved by a lender prior to shopping. Having a relationship established with a lender is one of the key components to getting to the finish line. If you need recommendations on local lenders you can speak with, we would be happy to give you a few names. Meanwhile, keep saving for that down payment!
- In preparation for your appointment with the lender please remember these few tips:
- DO NOT: Open any new credit lines or close any credit card accounts without first talking to your mortgage professional, this can have adverse credit consequences.
- DO NOT: Make any large purchases or purchase a car, etc. without first talking to your mortgage professional.
- DO: Collect your last two years’ tax returns, W2s or 1099s, last two months’ bank statements, last two months’ paystubs, any other asset account statements. Your lender will have a list of additional documents, but this will be a good starting point.
Get automated listing alerts
Get setup on our website to receive automated listing alerts for homes that match your criteria. We can take care of this for you in a matter of minutes once we have a clear understanding of what you are looking for in a home.
Be open minded
When you begin looking at homes, make sure to keep an open mind. Some homes show like model homes, others not so much. Remember you’re not going to be living there with that occupant’s belongings. Look past any clutter or cosmetic features that are easily changed with some elbow grease.
Discover neighborhoods you like
Drive around and explore areas at different times of day, take a walk in the areas you like, and visit any nearby parks, this can give you a good feel of the area and what the neighborhood has to offer before beginning your hunt for houses for sale in Napa CA.
Do not delay
The market in many areas and price points is very fast paced. If there is a home you are interested in, it will be important that we get you in to see it promptly, we will also inquire with the listing agent to find out if the seller will be reviewing offers on a particular day.
We can show you ANY house that is for sale, we are not limited by homes that our company has listed.
GET IN TOUCH